The aim of this accredited qualification is to provide individuals with knowledge of the basic food safety practices that are essential in the catering industry. This includes the hazards and risks to food safety presented by food operations and personnel, together with cost-effective, practical control measures.
The qualification is designed principally for those who are, or intend to be, food handlers working in catering. It is also appropriate for those providing services to catering premises including pest control operators, maintenance engineers, cleaners, and laundry and delivery personnel.
Achievement of this qualification will enable learners to identify how to make changes to catering practices in order to improve the safety of catering services.
This Ofqual approved qualification has been developed specifically for insertion onto the Qualifications and Credit Framework with full support from People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism. It is therefore fully compliant with industry and regulatory standards as well as being recognized by environmental health practitioners, auditors and other enforcement officers.
- Food Hygiene Legislation
- (Relevant Legislation, The Environmental Health Officer, HACCP)
- Bacteriology and Food Poisoning
- (What are bacteria and how do they grow and affect us, How we control their growth, Food poisoning and its effect, Symptoms of food poisoning, Types of infections, Chemicals and foreign objects, Natural plant foods and allergies)
- Food Contamination
- (Cross contamination, The danger zone, Ways of preventing cross contamination, Chopping board colours, High risk foods, Pest control, Hot food display units, Working at a bar, Serving in a restaurant)
- Personal Hygiene
- (Hand washing and hand gels, Protective clothing, Reporting Illness, First Aid Kits for food preparation, How you need to act at work)
- Food storage and Preservation
- (Principles of food preservation, Date marks, damaged food and record keeping, Food Preservation Methods, Salting, Pickling, Food spoilage, Heating, Refrigeration and freezing, Egg precautions, Dietary Requirements, People at high risk, Traditional methods of preservation, Preventing food spoilage, Warning signs)
- Understand how individuals can take personal responsibility for food safety
- (Outline the importance of food safety procedures, risk assessment, safe food handling and behavior, Describe how to report food safety hazards, Outline the legal responsibilities of food handlers and food business operators)
- Understand the importance of keeping him/herself clean and hygienic
- (Explain the importance of personal hygiene in food safety including its role in reducing the risk of contamination, Describe effective personal hygiene practices, for example, protective clothing, hand washing, personal illnesses, cuts and wounds)
- Understand the importance of keeping the work areas clean and hygienic
- (Explain how to keep the work area and equipment clean and tidy to include cleaning and disinfection methods, safe use and storage of cleaning chemicals and materials, and waste disposal, State how work flow, work surfaces and equipment can reduce contamination risks and aid cleaning, Outline the importance of pest control)
- Understand the importance of keeping food safe
- (State the sources and risks to food safety from contamination and cross contamination to include microbial, chemical, physical and allergenic hazards, Explain how to deal with food spoilage including recognition, reporting and disposal, Describe safe food handling practices and procedures for storing, preparing, cooking, chilling, reheating, holding, serving and transporting food, Explain the importance of temperature controls when storing, preparing, cooking, chilling, reheating, holding, serving and transporting food, Describe stock control procedures including deliveries, storage, date marking and stock rotation)
This course has a guidance training time of 6 hours, this is completed over a one day period.
Each student will gain a TQUK Level 2 Award in Food Safety (QCF) regulated qualification, valid for three years.
For more information or to book a course, please contact us here.
Our Clinical Training provides up to date information for clinicians. This will provide continuing professional development (CPD) hours towards revalidation for nurses and midwives.
Our health & safety training courses provide the fundamentals any organisation or individual requires to be compliant with HSE guidelines, ranging from Manual Handling, Health & Safety, Fire Safety and Food Hygiene Training.
Our emergency care training includes Paediatric and Adult based courses. Whether you're a builder, childminder, carer or doctor it is essential you understand the basic skills required for potentially saving a life.